Sym links and bazaar

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 22:30:49 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 16:04, Mark A. Flacy <mflacy at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 14:46 -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> Well, I believe that you'll end up with other problems.
>
> When you say "synched", you open a can of worms.  What happens if you
> (or someone else) edits the file in its "real" location?  What happens
> if you have multiple working directories off the repository?  Which
> working directory is pointing to the "true" copy?  What happens when you
> revert the working directory to an earlier version?

Good points, but the purpose I have in mind is using bazaar for a
versioned backup of certain system files.

Anyway I've thought of another solution:

On each host have a bazaar repository as parent of the system files I
want to moniter.  A cron job periodically checks the status of the
monitored files and commits in the repos as necessary.

My backup host will have a checkout of each host's repo and back them
up with a periodic pull from each.

What say you?

Thanks, Mark.

-Tom