Sym links and bazaar

Mark A. Flacy mflacy at verizon.net
Sat Oct 16 22:04:05 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 14:46 -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:53, Mark A. Flacy <mflacy at verizon.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 13:38 -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> >> I want to keep the contents of a system file outside my bzr repo
> >> synched inside my repo and under version control.
> >
> > Symlink the working directory copy to the standard system file location.
> > Problems solved.
>
> Yes, that will work.  In fact I do that now for some files such as
> .bash_aliases and other user user resource files, but I would rather
> not do that for certain system files.

Well, I believe that you'll end up with other problems.

When you say "synched", you open a can of worms.  What happens if you
(or someone else) edits the file in its "real" location?  What happens
if you have multiple working directories off the repository?  Which
working directory is pointing to the "true" copy?  What happens when you
revert the working directory to an earlier version?

I don't see how messing around with various hooks is a cleaner, easier
to understand solution than the symlink.  I guess you could use your
distro's package management to perform the config file update.

--
Mark A. Flacy <mflacy at verizon.net>