Should bzr aliases possibly be in their own file?

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Wed Oct 13 14:35:45 BST 2010

    > As a bzr newb who has to maintain multiple hosts, I think it would be
    > handy to have aliases in their own file which could be version
    > controlled and kept synchronized between hosts.

Welcome to my world :-)

Have a look at
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~vila/bzr/config-modify/+merge/37513
where this is currently discussed.

I'm working on a related topic which is the ability to define
heriarchical config files more easily and I came across:

<snip/>

    > 1.  It is unclear to me from the docs whether aliases are looked
    > for in the location.conf and branch.conf configuration files.  If
    > they are, what should be their position in the order of search in
    > the hierarchy above?

The current status is that aliases can only be defined in bazaar.conf so
far and only in a specific section [ALIASES].

Since 'locations.conf' uses the section for the locations it can't define
an ALIASES section. 'branch.conf' doesn't define sections at all.

    > 2.  Should the new, optional alias-only files should be required to
    > have the "[ALIASES]" section header word?  I vote no.

Me too.

On the other hand defining a new set of files for aliases may not be the
best solution either.

At that point I'm tempted to define aliases as:

  alias.mylog = log --limit 10

This will allow defining them in any configuration file.

            Vincent