[RFC] Releases planning

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Fri Oct 8 16:20:06 BST 2010

<snip/>

    >>> We could indeed create a ppa for each stable series and update it when
    >>> we release a new stable series. That would ensure that our users get a
    >>> coherent set of plugins with bzr itself (which the SRUs don't offer).

    > Uh, the SRUs certainly _should_ offer coherent plugins.

Right, but it's pretty easy to come up with a scenario where both the
plugin and bzr-core should be fixed which means we need to *also* SRU
the plugin (and its dependencies).

    > If changing to a new bugfix version breaks the plugins the SRU
    > can't proceed.  At the moment we have not normally attempted to
    > offer plugin bugfixes through SRUs but we could, if they too
    > maintain a stable branch.

Exactly: "if they too maintain a stable branch" which may not be the
general case and that's something I'd like to make easier for the plugin
authors and better tracked by our packaging processes (which are already
pretty good, don't get me wrong).

       Vincent