simple use case advice

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Oct 4 02:01:54 BST 2010

Martin Pool writes:

 > stay there.  But it's easy to hurt yourself this way, by accidentally
 > copying over the top of something you didn't mean to replace.  I would
 > really recommend switching a working tree by either having it bound to
 > a separate bzr branch (bzr checkout br1 work; cd work; bzr switch
 > ../br2), or by using bzr-colo.

He doesn't already have the branch, so you need to include the
branching steps, too.

AFAIK using switch effectively requires a well-designed workflow, and
bzr-colo is still pretty alpha, or at best early beta, no?

So it's a tradeoff.  I've *never* shot myself in the foot doing things
the way I suggested; I don't think it's that "easy" to make that kind
of mistake.  Nevertheless I don't recommend it, just mentioned that
it's an option if preserving build products is important.  And of
course I would *never* use it if I didn't absolutely need cruft from
the origin branch.