Q: Access Control Options

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 16:46:46 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:

> Maritza Mendez пишет:
>
>   Hi.  There are a couple current threads here (ok, including one I
>> started) which include discussion of ACL-like properties for branches.  So I
>> assume there is interest in this topic.  I have had typically bad
>> expereinces with the ACL layer tacked onto some commercial version control
>> systems.  So I am very cautious about suggesting similar "enhancements" to
>> bzrlib.  Instead, I've been thinking about the Un*x way -- many "little"
>> tools, each of which does one job extremely well -- and leveraging the
>> expertise and architecture already baked into every Linux box.
>>

> I was so naive to expect something which can be run on Windows-based server
> machine... Silly me.

I'm assuming that's humor which I am unable to translate.  :)

But since you mention Windows, I did try (a couple years ago I think) to run
the bzr smart server on a dedicated port behind an sshd on Windows.  It
turned out to be a non-viable mess.  Getting an ssd clone to play nice with
a Windows Domain Server does not appear to be especially well documented and
is definitely not fun.  It can be done, of course, but it's a headache for
Microsoft Certified IT folks who already have enough problems.  One benefit
of getting it running was that it suddenly became much easier for me to
convince my IT department to allow Linux boxes on their network!   :D

~M