Q: Access Control Options

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Thu Sep 30 09:45:58 BST 2010

Maritza Mendez пишет:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net
> <mailto:bialix at ukr.net>> wrote:
>
>     Maritza Mendez пишет:
>
>          Hi.  There are a couple current threads here (ok, including one
>         I started) which include discussion of ACL-like properties for
>         branches.  So I assume there is interest in this topic.  I have
>         had typically bad expereinces with the ACL layer tacked onto
>         some commercial version control systems.  So I am very cautious
>         about suggesting similar "enhancements" to bzrlib.  Instead,
>         I've been thinking about the Un*x way -- many "little" tools,
>         each of which does one job extremely well -- and leveraging the
>         expertise and architecture already baked into every Linux box.
>

>     I was so naive to expect something which can be run on Windows-based
>     server machine... Silly me.
>

> I'm assuming that's humor which I am unable to translate.  :)

That's a sad humor. I'm even not sure it was funny.

I don't have your experience about SVN auth solutions, and therefore I
don't understand why built-in ACL support in the bzr:// protocol would
hurt. I would like to understand all issues here. But as my naive
expectation such thing like built-in ACL and simple users management
will be so easy to use for people so everybody would love to use only
the fastest bzr:// protocol because it would be so easy to set it up.

For example, there is still no bzr+ssh:// support on Savannah, only
sftp. Why? Maybe because bzr+ssh:// is a bit harder to setup?

My personal interest in easy and built-in ACLs is to allow even the
smallest company to setup bzr:// server on any spare computer. In such
small companies there is no certified sysadmins at all, and people
maintain their infrastructure themselves. I'm dreaming about: just
install, configure (possible via qt-based wizard ;) and go!