Bazaar and Visual Studio

Kuno Meyer kuno.meyer at gmx.ch
Wed Sep 15 19:30:19 BST 2010

On 15.09.2010 02:50, Philip Peitsch wrote:
[...]

> I am interested as to what IDE integrations are required by your devs
> that isn't offered by bzr explorer, or has been proven to be more
> difficult on the command line?  The cry for IDE integration seems to
> happen quite frequently, but in my experience, unless the IDE
> integration focuses on the right thing, it can be quite useless.

That's easy. Let's take VisualSVN (for Microsoft Visual Studio) as an
example for a non-intrusive add-on that does not implement Microsoft's
revision control API and that mostly relies on TortoiseSVN):

- automatic rename tracking (--> no after-the fact reconstruction of
renames or after-the-fact modification of project files)

- diffing the file that is right now being edited (--> not diffing the
whole tree, no need to search that specific file from the full list of
modified files)

- reverting just the file that is right now being edited. (--> dito)

- reverting a subset/selected region of the file that is right now being
edited.

- no constant switching between the IDE window, the command line
window(s) and any other file system viewers

- be sure that everything is saved to disk before any VCS operations
take place

And not Bazaars fault, but still an issue in daily life:

- be sure that anything gets properly reloaded after file modifications
(Visual Studio project files)