pack command...

Michael Andronov ma5645 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 17:24:24 BST 2010

I have a question about the pack command.

The manual says that  usually it should not be run manually.
At the same time, it has helped me already a couple times to recover
from unnecessary long times during bzr transfer operation.

I'm wondering if there is a way to detect the point, when running pack
will really help? In order to run the pack automatically on some of
the nodes which are keeping repositories.

Also, is pack command locking the repository ? Is it safe to run pack
on repository from one process, and to make bzr push/pull attempts
with the same repository from the other process?

Thanks.