bzr-svn new behaviour regarding authentication

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sat Aug 28 17:53:01 BST 2010

Jelmer,

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 13:18 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> I did some refactoring in bzr recently to make it easier to register
> custom control directories and to allow probing for foreign formats to
> be more flexible and efficient. Unfortunately this broke one of the
> hacks in bzr-svn (check for svn repositories before probing for other
> formats) to work around some broken http servers.

Aha.  That would definitely explain most of the problems I was seeing.

> I'm now working on adding the right infrastructure in bzr to handle this
> in a saner manner; until then, I would suggest using svn+http:// or a
> released version of bzr-svn.

I have reverted to svn+http and svn+https for all the URLs of Subversion
repositories and most of the problems have gone away.  The problem I was
seeing with the KRoC svn-import didn't go away so I simply deleted the
shared repository and re-imported with an svn+http protocol and it now
seems OK (NB Git and Mercurial cannot clone this repository where Bazaar
can, which is a) very surprising; and b ) quite interesting.).

To be honest I think I prefer the URLs of Subversion repositories to
have svn+http or svn+https, it makes it obvious that Bazaar is
connecting to Subversion.  I know the idea is for this not to be a worry
for users, but for my use cases, it is good to know explicitly and
obviously that Subversion is involved.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk