Proposed dependency change for bzr/ppa and bzr-beta-ppa/ppa

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Aug 18 02:05:46 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 01:32 +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Currently, bzr/ppa has a build-time dependency configured against
> dulwich/ppa and subvertpy/ppa.
>
> bzr-beta-ppa/ppa has a build-time dependency configured against
> subvertpy/ppa.
>

> I propose to delete those dependency links, as they apply only at
> build-time - thus, they facilitate building a package in those PPAs,
> which could then be uninstallable unless the end-user also has the
> dependency PPAs in their sources list.
>

> Instead, we can either copy packages from those PPAs, or make explicit
> uploads to the ~bzr PPA. As both dulwich/ppa and subvertpy/ppa seem to
> only target the most recent Ubuntu release, they are not currently
> usable as the sole source of packages for providing a newer dependency
> of bzr-git/bzr-svn across all supported Ubuntu releases, as the ~bzr PPA
> intends to.
>

> Jelmer: As owner of ~dulwich and ~subvertpy, how do you define the
> mission statement of those PPAs? Would it make sense for them to
> maintain an up to date version of those projects across all supported
> Ubuntu releases, or should dulwich and subvertpy be built directly in
> ~bzr PPAs in so far as needed to provide up-to-date bzr-svn and bzr-git
> packages?
The PPA's for Subvertpy and Dulwich are updated irregularly (as is the
bzr-git package in the bzr PPA), usually when somebody asks me for
updated packages. If proper bzr-git/bzr-svn packages in the bzr PPA are
going to be maintained that should probably also entail dulwich and
subvertpy.

Cheers,

Jelmer