External merge tool support (WIP)

Gordon Tyler gordon at doxxx.net
Thu Aug 5 17:01:29 BST 2010

On Thu, August 5, 2010 11:38 am, Maritza Mendez wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:28 AM, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:
>> I think it will be more generally useful on resolve and remerge.  I
>> can imagine calling an external tool being quite useful with eg
>>
>>  bzr merge -r -1..-2 --using meld foo.c
>>
>> I think we need to work on the state machine Maritza described:
>> sometimes you might want to use a tool to attempt the automatic merge,
>> and sometimes (probably more important) you just want to run a tool on
>> the conflicts.  In that case you want to be able to run it several
>> times with eg interactive resolve.  It would be nice if merge could
>> automatically kick this off if there are conflicts.
>>
>> --
>> Martin
>>

> Martin, you say it much clearer than I could.  That's exactly what I
> meant.
> It would be great if merge could ease the user into resolving conflicts
> (if any).

Automatically popping up a GUI merge tool during a merge operation could
be considered too intrusive, although one could say that the user should
be expecting it since they gave the --using option. However, to make it
less intrusive, perhaps bzr could prompt interactively for each file with
conflicts whether to launch the given merge tool?

Ciao,
Gordon