Windows build of 2.2b3 available, please test

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Jul 1 19:44:18 BST 2010

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

>> However, by just using 'wget' and putting the file into
>> build-win32/downloads it buildout just uses the file that is already
>> there (rather than thinking it needs to go out and download a new one.)
>
> Using the same trick, I build bzr 2.2b3. I imagine lots of bits are now
> incomplete, the docs weren't rebuilt, it won't include all the plugins
> that Ian had put together for the 2.2 series, etc. But there is a binary
> that can be downloaded which has updated bzr.
>
> bzr-2.2b3-1-setup.exe includes:
>   bzr 2.2b3
>   qbzr 0.19beta1
>   tbzr 0.5.5
>   subvertpy 0.7.2
> etc
>

> Please test. I'd really like to know if the doc is horribly out of date.
>
> John
> =:->

The build is already known-broken for bzr-rebase and bzr-svn since they
both ask for bzr v2.1* and we are giving them bzr-2.2*. Beyond that:

It seems that the patch to build bzr with -OO is breaking plugins that
users have installed on their path.

Specifically, he made the installer build bzr with -OO, but it
intentionally compiles the new plugins with -O.

However, if a user just installs a plugin to BZR_PLUGIN_PATH, that
plugin will get loaded with -OO because that is how the bzr.exe starts.

The bundled plugins may also have some issues. It seems we are compiling
and transmitting the .pyo files, but they aren't being used on startup.
Instead the interpreter is recompiling them. I don't really know why.
The only thing that comes to mind is a version-mismatch. (If I write my
own plugin and use: python2.5 -O -c "import plugin"
then the plugin gets compiled with the -O flag and works. And then at
runtime things are ok.

Anyway, we may need to rethink things. As allowing users to install
their own plugins and have "bzr help plugin" still work would be nice.
(I guess if everyone migrates over to the __doc__ = """, then we'd be
okay, though.)