Trouble with Launchpad...

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Wed Jun 30 10:40:56 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I can't say that it is particularly common to have a single file larger
> than 400k changed more than 6k times in the history of a project. But I
> suppose if you versioned the build output (and then went to annotate
> that output...)

I suppose not.  But we've got projects that span years of development,
and are involved in others that span years more.  On the flip side of
this, most of them are hosted in Subversion at the moment, so 'blame'
isn't all that fast anyways... but it also doesn't just plain die
either.  I would have been happy to just have the content in this case
though.

> Do you have numbers to compare against? (Your largest and longest living
> file, etc.)

I'd have to do a bit of digging for that (that information isn't
available to me here).  I believe one of the projects has a similar
number of changes, but I'd have to see what the file situation is.

> I *am* slowly working on an annotation cache, which would store
> snapshots of the annotation at various points in time. (So that 'bzr
> annotate' doesn't have to continue to be an O(file_history) operation.)

Sounds great!  I have to say that annotate is one of the most frequent
commands I run.

> That's going slow, as I'm working on refactoring some of our code to
> make it easier to have arbitrary caches of this sort.

Understood.  Thanks for your response!  I look forward to seeing the cache!

-John