Wanted: volunteers for improving the experience of bzr @ Savannah

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Wed Jun 2 00:17:15 BST 2010

Karl Fogel has been working recently to improve the deployment of bzr
on savannah.gnu.org, with the goal of having our recommended bzr+ssh
server in use rather than plain ol' sftp.

He's made great progress, to the point of starting to test the new deployment.

Unfortunately Karl doesn't have the time anymore to finish this up.
And after its finished there will probably be some minor 'care about
the service' things - like remembering to upgrade bzr there from time
to time.

Is there anyone here interested in helping out with Savannah, with the
goal of having users of bzr on Savannah have a great experience -
Savannah is totally volunteer run, so I thought the bzr community
might be a great one to find a few volunteers in.

I'd love it if a small team of people were to step up and offer to
help. Obviously the Savannah sysadmins will need to vet folk - you'd
be getting significant [but audited] access to the Savannah code
hosting infrastructure. As yet, I haven't discussed this with Sylvain
and the other Savannah sysadmins yet; I didn't want to raise a totally
hypothetical question :)

In terms of time commitment, I think it will be totally up to the
volunteers - a couple of hours in the occasional weekend, or whatever
works for you.

I'm still in the middle of moving house and settling down again in a
new-old country, so I know I don't have any spare time at all :( - but
I'll be delighted to offer advice to anyone working on this deployment
(and I'm sure other bzr devs or admin-like users can offer advice too,
if you ask in this forum or on IRC).

If you're interested please contact me here or offlist (up to you),
and I'll coordinate how we go forward.

Cheers,
Rob