[ANN] Wikkid Wiki 0.1 released

Tim Penhey tim.penhey at canonical.com
Thu May 27 21:12:47 BST 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010 17:51:54 Russel Winder wrote:
> Tim,
>
> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 09:05 +1200, Tim Penhey wrote:
> > Hi Bazaar people,
> >
> > I've reached what is the first (of many hopefully) milestone for Wikkid
> > Wiki[1].
> >
> > Wikkid is a Bazaar backed wiki where the underlying page storage is a
> > Bazaar branch.
>
> One of the problems for Launchpad, and hence Bazaar, is that projects do
> not have a wiki on Launchpad, it has to be somewhere else, ditto the
> website -- most projects just have their wiki as their website.
> Sourceforge, Tigris, etc. offer colocated wikis making it easy to
> provide project documentation directly with the project source and
> workflow management.
>
> I know it is trivial to link to other places in Gitorious, BitBucket and
> Launchpad, but it is a small little hurdle that is perceived not as a
> molehill but as a mountain.   Too often in emails discussing moving from
> (CVS|Subversion) to (Bazaar|Mercurial|Git) a question that has a
> disproportionate effect on decision making is "Does it support our
> wiki?".
>
> If Launchpad were to support wiki material directly with the Bazaar
> branch pool I believe this would be a big boost to Bazaar and Launchpad
> take up -- at the expense of needing more disc space ;-)

Wow Russel, you read my mind.

Sarcasm aside, this is the main reason I started work on Wikkid.  I also
mentioned it in my blog post.  It is fully my intention to get Wikkid
integrated into Launchpad to provide a wiki branch for every project.

And it is slightly more than just more disc space :-)

Any additional complexity adds to the maintenance burden.  And deploying a
system that works with 20 thousand independent wikis is more complex than
simply running up a server to deal with one.

Tim