Wondering about processes and functionality with bzr-svn

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Mon May 24 11:55:01 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 11:50 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
[ . . . ]
> IIRC svn-import will pull --overwrite in branches. It's really meant as
> a way to keep a mirror of a remote svn repository.

That was where I was heading.  Useful, but means Mercurial and Git are
better Subversion clients.  I agree Mercurial and Git rebase so are not
useful other than as personal clients to Subversion.  Thus there seems
to be a gap in the market:  Mercurial and Git are good repository
clients, but cannot bridge easily to the DVCS world, Bazaar has a great
capability of bridging Subversion to Bazaar, but can only work on a per
branch basis not on a whole repository basis.

> As such, I don't think this is something that should be fixed in bzr-svn
> but rather in Bazaar itself.

Certainly from my personal perspective I think Bazaar seems sadly
lacking in "whole repository" activity which is where Mercurial and Git
shine.

Git's remote tracking branches are incredibly useful.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk