Cannot push to a LP project

Philippe Lhoste PhiLho at GMX.net
Thu May 20 14:57:11 BST 2010

So far I use successfully Bazaar on my personal projects, allowing to synchronize my dev
folders on several locations.

Some time ago, I wanted to help improving the Nimrod project, so I made a bzr init-repo
and inside used a bzr branch lp:nimrod to a trunk folder to get the latest version of this
project.
I also made a bzr branch ../philho to make my own branch with my changes.
Later I pulled changes from LP to trunk, then merged them into my branch.
So far, so good.

When I felt ready for an update, I used bzr send to make a merge directive file and sent
it to the owner of the project. But he was unable to merge that file, so he gave me
developer rights on the project.

Some time passed, I upgrade Bazaar, and today I made a new pull from the trunk, merged the
change, made some more, committed, and merged the tip of my branch into the trunk, in
order to update the LP repository (just thinking, maybe I should have tried to push from
my branch, to keep the trunk pristine?).

Now, when I do bzr push lp:nimrod, I get an error message:

D:\Dev\3rdParty\Nimrod\trunk
 > bzr push
Using saved push location: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nimrod-devs/nimrod/trunk/
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
bzr: ERROR: RemoteRepository(bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nimrod-devs/nimrod/trunk/.bzr/)
is not compatible with
CHKInventoryRepository('file:///D:/Dev/3rdParty/Nimrod/.bzr/repository/')
different rich-root support

D:\Dev\3rdParty\Nimrod\trunk
 > bzr info -v lp:nimrod
Connected (version 2.0, client Twisted)
Authentication (publickey) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
Standalone branch (format: unnamed)
Location:
   branch root: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nimrod-devs/nimrod/trunk/

Format:
        control: bzr remote bzrdir
         branch: Remote: Branch format 6
     repository: Remote: Packs containing knits without subtree support

[...]

D:\Dev\3rdParty\Nimrod\trunk
 > bzr info -v
Repository tree (format: 2a)
Location:
   shared repository: D:/Dev/3rdParty/Nimrod
   repository branch: .

Related branches:
     push branch: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nimrod-devs/nimrod/trunk/
   parent branch: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nimrod-devs/nimrod/trunk/
   submit branch: D:/Dev/3rdParty/Nimrod/philho

Format:
        control: Meta directory format 1
   working tree: Working tree format 6
         branch: Branch format 7
     repository: Repository format 2a - rich roots, group compression and chk inventories

[...]

D:\Dev\3rdParty\Nimrod\trunk
 > bzr --version
Bazaar (bzr) 2.1.0
   Python interpreter: C:\PrgCmdLine\Bazaar\python25.dll 2.5.4
   Python standard library: C:\PrgCmdLine\Bazaar\lib\library.zip
   Platform: Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3

To make a long story short, is there a way to push my changes to this project?
I don't dare to upgrade the repository myself, as I am not the owner.
I can ask the owner to do the upgrade, but I don't know if he is willing to do it.

These backward compatibility issues are annoying. I don't care if my own history is lost
in the merge, what I want is to push my final changes. Is there a simple way to do it,
even if it needs to pull again that project?

Thanks for reading so far that long, annoying mail... :-)

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France