Bazaar dirstate locking (was: lock_* API change)

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Tue May 18 08:23:57 BST 2010

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>
> Cc: robertc at robertcollins.net,
>     bazaar at lists.canonical.com,
>     monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:46:03 +0900
>
> It allows you to streamline the workflow without switching from Emacs.
> Most Emacs developers value that, as you know.  I'm surprised that you
> place so little weight on it.

I value Emacs features, not use of Emacs as a simple shell for
invoking commands (unless their main product is their stdout output).

> And I did then and still do think that the workflow that several
> people, starting with RMS and including you and Óscar, have advocated
> is an abuse of a DVCS.  Certainly, bound branches and lightweight
> checkouts are convenient for some purposes, especially so for testers
> and casual developers

You are confusing me with someone else.  I never advocated CVS-like
workflow, not since I started using Bazaar.  In fact, I posted not so
long ago (on emacs-devel) a few details about my workflows, which use
local branches quite a lot, and how that improved my quality of life.
You even thanked me for speaking up.