version-info --include-history UnicodeDecodeError (518609)

Martin (gzlist) gzlist at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 9 00:32:02 BST 2010

On 09/04/2010, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> I feel like you're upcasting a specific bug, in non-core code, as a much
> larger issue than it is.

My point was there are a string of such bugs (search for
'UnicodeDecodeError' for instance), and the habit of saying "this only
works with UTF-8" is bad with english-speaking, nix-using developers,
as most of the time wrong code will work for you as well.

> In my copy of trunk I cannot see a 'check_tag' method, and bzr-search
> doesn't find it in history anywhere.

Sorry, 'valid_tag', thinko.

> If the problem is that we're writing utf-8 str objects to a transcoding
> file, we shouldn't do that for this command; its not appropriate.

Which the console is, so anything printing text to the console
shouldn't pre-encode it.

Martin