version-info --include-history UnicodeDecodeError (518609)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Apr 9 00:47:00 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 00:32 +0100, Martin (gzlist) wrote:

> > If the problem is that we're writing utf-8 str objects to a transcoding
> > file, we shouldn't do that for this command; its not appropriate.
>
> Which the console is, so anything printing text to the console
> shouldn't pre-encode it.

Right; and I'm sure this tension turns up in other places. Lets fix this
one by adding a filename parameter to info.

I don't have a good answer in the general case.

As for 'only works with UTF-8', thats not a meme that I've seen around
this community. For internal storage [and .bzr.log] - sure, but for
external interactions, I don't think I've ever seen that said.

-ROb