ZIP files in working tree

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Fri Mar 26 08:42:38 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Martin von Gagern
<Martin.vGagern at gmx.net> wrote:
[snip]
> From my experience, I can tell that I have manually created or modified
> the contents of such files before, including the creation of a new zip
> from an unzipped dir. Never encountered trouble there so far. I guess
> the most likely thing to cause trouble would be whether ot not
> directories are saved in the zip as well, and if so, when. One could
> provide a config switch for this, but I assume that can wait until there
> is need.

I can't remember the exact issue, but I've had troubles in manually
creating a zip for use by Python (a zip that was going to be
imported).  I was investigating a bug, and for whatever reason, didn't
have the original source with me.  So I unzipped it, made the change,
and re-zipped it.  Python didn't like that.  So I did essentially the
same thing through zipfile in Python (only giving it the filenames of
things to be zipped--skipping directory entries), and it was fine.

That was the only time I ever ran into that sort of problem, but I
think it shows that if not done carefully, it could cause some issues.

-John