ZIP files in working tree

Voelker, Bernhard bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com
Fri Mar 26 08:28:19 GMT 2010

Martin von Gagern wrote:
> That's one of the reasons why I would want this plugin off by default,
> and only configured on for files where the user knows it's OK, knows he
> expects modifications after the initial commit, and knows he wants a
> look at the internal structure.

Maybe off-topic but a hint to another direction:

in another VCS, ClearCase, there are "type managers" that permits
to use e.g. a normal "text_file" type manager, an "xml_file" type manager
or a "binary" type manager (among others).
The type manager is responsible for e.g. different delta storing methods:
"binary" is stored as is or zipped, while versions of "text_file" types
are stored in a diff-like way (i.e. incrementally).
Furthermore, e.g. different diff and merge programs can be used based on the
type.
The best feature is that you can change the type of a file at any time:
e.g. if you added a huge generated source file which greatly changes
from version to version, it doesn't make sense to internally store it
using a incremental diff method. In this case, you're better off using
a zipping type manager.

I've no idea if such a thing would match the bzr way - as I said:
maybe off-topic ...

Have a nice day,
Berny