ZIP files in working tree

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Mar 25 15:28:54 GMT 2010

Hi Martin,

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 15:58 +0100, Martin von Gagern wrote:
> On 25.03.2010 15:46, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >> I often would have wished for a plugin to handle these things as a
> >> single ZIP in a working tree, but as a directory of members inside the
> >> branch. That would allow easier markup of changes, and increase the
> >> chances of successful three-way merges. It might also reduce space
> >> requirements to the actual modification, omitting impact caused by
> >> subsequent differences in the compressed data stream.
> >>
> > I think this would be very useful *and* feasible with the current Bazaar
> > API, as of recent Bazaar releases. Things like the NEWS merger or the
> > debian/changelog merger demonstrate that the required infrastructure for
> > custom mergers works well.
>
> I guess my thoughts go a bit further than a simple merger. As far as I
> understand it, a merger is plugged into the merge process to merge a
> single file, without any effects otherwise.
Yep, that's correct.

> My proposed realization on the other hand would cause the data to be
> different between working tree and branch, for reasons quoted above. It
> would not only affect merge, but also commands like update, checkout,
> resolve, and probably many more.
Why would such files have to be treated differently between branches
and working trees? Can you give an example session operating on such a
file?

Would you like "bzr st" to report on the fact that only a single file in
a zip file has changed?

If so, is there any reason not to just include the contents of that file
in the working tree rather than using a zip file?

Cheers,

Jelmer