Newbie documentation: Bazaar Merge?

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Mar 23 03:15:04 GMT 2010

Gordon Tyler writes:

 > On a sidenote, it made me realize that I prefer Bazaar's "There Is Only
 > One Head In a Branch" philosophy over git/hg's ability to have multiple
 > heads in a branch. Having multiple heads seems like a recipe for
 > disaster.

s/multiple *named* heads/multiple heads/.  All VCSes capable of
merging must support multiple heads per workspace.

Multiple named heads is an accident waiting to happen in Mercurial,
and may very well be one in Bazaar as well, depending on the
implementation and documentation.  But that is *because* of the "One
Explicit Head Per Workspace" philosophy (which Mercurial also
subscribed to at first).  In git colocating branches is as natural as
sex (that is to say, a bit awkward the first time, but it grows on you
real fast), and nowadays it's way safer.