unable to branch github repo containing submodules

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Mar 21 20:49:27 GMT 2010

Hi Parth,

On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 17:38 +0530, Parth Malwankar wrote:
> I am trying to checkout a github repo that seems to
> contain submodules. Is this supported by bzr-git? I get
> an error message saying I need to upgrade my repo format.
> Should I be doing something differently?
bzr-git supports submodules, but it maps (and has to map them) to nested
trees in Bazaar. Unfortunately, Bazaar only has some limited support for
nested trees in its API and some experimental file formats that support
it.

> I am using bzr 2.1 and bzr-git 0.4.3 on ubuntu 9.10.
>
> [parrot]% bzr branch git://github.com/fperrad/lua.git lua
> - fetching revisions 770/1047
> bzr: ERROR: The repository you are fetching from contains submodules.
> To continue, upgrade your Bazaar repository to a format that supports
> nested trees, such as 'development-subtree'.
> [parrot]%
You can only check out this Github repo if you upgrade the local Bazaar
branch to a format that supports nested trees. The only formats that
support nested trees at the moment are all experimental - only use this
for testing, not for any production code. These formats may change
without notice, eat your cat and set your vacuum cleaner on fire.

If you still would like to try with such a format, run something like
this:

 $ bzr init --development-subtree lua
 $ bzr pull -d lua git://github.com/fperrad/lua.git

Cheers,

Jelmer