Questions about the results of conversion using svn-import

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.com
Mon Mar 22 08:00:22 GMT 2010

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 17:28 +1100, Matt Doran wrote:
>
>> PS: The first step of converting our repo was really painless... I'm
>> looking forward to the rest that bzr has to offer.  The documentation
>> in the area of conversion does seem a bit non-existent and/or
>> disjointed and/or hard-to-find.  Then again ... maybe there's not that
>> much to know. :)
>>
> What exactly did you find disjoint? What places did you look at ?
> Hopefully we can improve this a bit. :)

To illustrate, it's probably best to explain my experience on trying to
figure out how to do the conversion....

First I googled for something like "convert svn repository to bzr", and
the most obvious result is: http://wiki.bazaar-vcs.org/svn2bzr .  But
further investigation seemed to suggest that people had problems with
this, and it's not really maintained any more.   I don't know if this is
true.

The next link I found was
http://wiki.bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForeignBranches/Subversion.    It has a 2
lines mentioning "svn-import".

Then I searched for: bzr svn-import  .... leading me to:
http://wiki.bazaar-vcs.org/BzrMigration   ... again this has one line
mentioning svn-import.

Another result returned by google was:
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/user-guide/svn_plugin.html.
This has a line on svn-import in relation to creating a mirror of your
SVN repository.... not really discussing a full conversion.

Just now I found this section of the manual (didn't really appear in
google searches):
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/data-migration/subversion-to-bazaar.html.
But again it's just a couple of sentences.... and mostly referring to to
fast-export.... which I'd not encountered until now.

So all of this leaves a confusing/poor first impression for people
looking for alternatives to SVN.     If there was a single prominent
document explaining the best practise in doing the conversion so that
anyone could follow and understand the options and steps .... it would
be a much more approachable for the average svn admin.

In the end I just tried svn-import and it mostly "just worked".    :)

PS: Ironically the motivation for me to try this again after toying with
it 6 months or so ago was Joel Spolsky's mercurial tutorial.   :)

Regards,
Matt