Questions about the results of conversion using svn-import

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Mar 21 14:40:29 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 14:26 +0000, Scott Aubrey wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2010, at 11:53 AM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > (snip)
> > > I'm also curious about what makes up these branches.  All the
> > > revisions/data for the branches are stored in the shared repo, but
> > > is
> > > there a way to discover/list the branches that exist within the
> > > repo
> > > itself.  Or is the data stored in the branch directories important
> > > in
> > > retrieving the appropriate data out of the repo?    Hmmmm... I
> > > don't
> > > know if I've explained that well .... put another way ... if I
> > > delete
> > > a branch directory, is there anyway to recover the branch from the
> > > data stored in the repository alone?
> > The repository is what stores the actual revisions. A repository can
> > be
> > colocated with a branch or be higher up in the filesystem (a shared
> > repository). bzr-svn creates shared repositories by default unless
> > you
> > specify --standalone. "bzr info" will tell you the location of the
> > repository that's being used by a particular branch.
> >
> > The branch is mainly just a pointer to a revision in the repository.
> > > (snip)

> I don't think this fully answer the OP's question.

> The answer is (AFAIK)that if you accidentally deleted a branch, the
> only way the recreate that is from another branch that contains that
> revision already. So, if you only have one branch storing it's
> revisions in a shared repo, then you delete that branch, AFAIK you
> cannot bring that branch back from just the revision only, certainly
> not using the standard bzr commands.
You can recreate this branch using the standard Bazaar commands, though
it is a bit trickier than if you already have another branch that is
based on the one you are trying to bring back to life.

"bzr heads --dead" will tell you what revisions without ancestors don't
have a branch attached to them. Using the revision id it reports you can
resurrect the branch. ("bzr init x; bzr pull -d x
-rrevid:<revid-found>")

Cheers,

Jelmer