Questions about the results of conversion using svn-import

Scott Aubrey scottaubrey at capuk.org
Sun Mar 21 14:26:34 GMT 2010

Just to add...

- Scott

On 21 Mar 2010, at 11:53 AM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
> (snip)
>> I'm also curious about what makes up these branches.  All the
>> revisions/data for the branches are stored in the shared repo, but is
>> there a way to discover/list the branches that exist within the repo
>> itself.  Or is the data stored in the branch directories important in
>> retrieving the appropriate data out of the repo?    Hmmmm... I don't
>> know if I've explained that well .... put another way ... if I delete
>> a branch directory, is there anyway to recover the branch from the
>> data stored in the repository alone?
> The repository is what stores the actual revisions. A repository can
> be
> colocated with a branch or be higher up in the filesystem (a shared
> repository). bzr-svn creates shared repositories by default unless you
> specify --standalone. "bzr info" will tell you the location of the
> repository that's being used by a particular branch.
>
> The branch is mainly just a pointer to a revision in the repository.
>> (snip)

I don't think this fully answer the OP's question.

The answer is (AFAIK)that if you accidentally deleted a branch, the
only way the recreate that is from another branch that contains that
revision already. So, if you only have one branch storing it's
revisions in a shared repo, then you delete that branch, AFAIK you
cannot bring that branch back from just the revision only, certainly
not using the standard bzr commands.

If you had two branches, one branched from the other, then as long as
the revision existed in the other branch, either by ancestry or
because it had been merged in, the doing

Bzr branch -r <revno> <nonDeletedBranch> <deletedBranch>

Would recreate it in it's entirety. revno can be dotted form from a
merge.

I may be wrong, but I've never found a way to do above without the
revision existing in a branch somewhere.

- Scott