Questions about the results of conversion using svn-import

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Mar 21 11:53:55 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 17:28 +1100, Matt Doran wrote:
> I'm new to bzr.  I'm experimenting with converting our subversion repo
> to bzr, and I used the bzr-svn svn-import command. I pointed it at the
> directory above our trunk/branches/tags directory and it appears to
> have done a very good job.    The result is a shared repository with a
> number of treeless branches, as follows:
>         repo/
>                 trunk/
>                 branches/
>                         branch1/
>                         branch2/
>                         branch3/
>
> My plan is to get rid of svn completely so I'd like to sever the ties
> to the svn branches and have as "native" bzr setup as possible.   I
> noticed that each of the branches has the parent branch set to the
> local file location of the svn repository files I used for the
> conversion (I grabbed a local copy of the svn repo to speed up the
> conversion).  As an example of the output of "bzr info" for one of the
> branches I get something like this:
>         Repository branch (format: 2a)
>         Location:
>           shared repository: /tmp/test-bzr-repo
>           repository branch: .
>
>         Related branches:
>           parent branch: /tmp/svnrepo/projects/projectname/trunk
>
> It doesn't make much sense for this to continue to point to an svn
> repo, let alone my local copy of the svn repo.   How do I go about
> severing the tie with the svn repo?   Does it make sense to change
> this to point to the new bzr trunk for the branches?
"bzr pull --remember" from another location will change the parent
branch. Alternatively, you can edit the parent branch
in .bzr/branch/branch.conf directly.

> I'm also curious about what makes up these branches.  All the
> revisions/data for the branches are stored in the shared repo, but is
> there a way to discover/list the branches that exist within the repo
> itself.  Or is the data stored in the branch directories important in
> retrieving the appropriate data out of the repo?    Hmmmm... I don't
> know if I've explained that well .... put another way ... if I delete
> a branch directory, is there anyway to recover the branch from the
> data stored in the repository alone?
The repository is what stores the actual revisions. A repository can be
colocated with a branch or be higher up in the filesystem (a shared
repository). bzr-svn creates shared repositories by default unless you
specify --standalone. "bzr info" will tell you the location of the
repository that's being used by a particular branch.

The branch is mainly just a pointer to a revision in the repository.

> PS: The first step of converting our repo was really painless... I'm
> looking forward to the rest that bzr has to offer.  The documentation
> in the area of conversion does seem a bit non-existent and/or
> disjointed and/or hard-to-find.  Then again ... maybe there's not that
> much to know. :)
What exactly did you find disjoint? What places did you look at ?
Hopefully we can improve this a bit. :)

Cheers,

Jelmer