Newbie documentation: Bazaar Merge?

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Fri Mar 19 10:15:14 GMT 2010

> From: Ben Finney <ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au>
> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:50:34 +1100
>
> He wrote a tutorial document to help Subversion curmudgeons like himself
> make the switch <URL:http://hginit.com/>, but the difficulties and new
> concepts it covers are clearly applicable to help such users switch to
> Bazaar as well.
>
> The closest I can think of that we have are the “survival guide” and
> “five minutes” documents. These are great, truly; but they differ
> significantly from the above tutorial.

I see in my "User Documentation" app a "Bazaar in five minutes"
tutorial, a "Bazaar Tutorial", and a "Centralized Workflow Tutorial".
I think they mostly cover the introductory stuff, and they do it
better (IMO) than Joel's document -- less clutter and irrelevant
jokes, for starters.

Tutorial is something you need when you are utterly confused and don't
know where to start.  Having to read a tutorial that's full of
irrelevant nonsense, even if it's superbly funny, is running a high
risk of annoying someone who just wants to be helped in the most
efficient way.

> How important is this for Bazaar? How worthwhile would it be coming up
> with an equivalent document targeting the switch to Bazaar? (Perhaps
> called “Bazaar Merge”, simultaneously hinting at Bazaar's strengths.)

Would you please show a list of topics that are covered in this
document better than in the above-mentioned tutorials shipped with
Bazaar, or missing from them?  I'm having hard time identifying such
topics.

If there are no important topics missing, are you talking about style?
If so, could you elaborate?

Thanks.