Excessive network traffic for pulling a small change

Martin (gzlist) gzlist at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 11 22:10:21 GMT 2010

On 11/03/2010, Colin D Bennett <colin at gibibit.com> wrote:

> What could cause 3 MB of data transfer for this small change?
> Does anyone have a suggestion for this user of a low-bandwidth
> connection?  Thanks.

This is a known problem with Bazaar, and with Savannah, that's been
discussed several times in the past, see for instance:

<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2010q1/066211.html>

I can't actually find a bug on launchpad covering the bzr part of
this, perhaps you could create one.

Supporting lots of different transport protocols is something of an
attractive nuisance, rather than having one (fast) method á la git://
Bazaar tempts admins to just set up an http or ftp gateway, and then
surprises them with bad performance.

Martin