Overriding commands in plugins

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Mar 9 09:43:58 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 08:56 +0000, Michael Gliwinski wrote:

> I noticed the command hooks yesterday, from what I understand they
> are
> actually run when the command object is created, yes?  Would that be
> valid to
> wrap the run method in a hook?

You can use the get_command hook to do this; its what its designed for -
wrapping or replacing command objects. You can build a stack : e.g.

foo-plugin(qbzr(pipeline(builtin))))

however, the run() method will be tricky because we pass parameters to
run() - I'd like to change that.

That said, run_argv is safe to use - but not safe to call anymore since
the changes made to add cleanups to commands. We need to document that,
deprecate run_argv. Instead there is a 'run direct' method which is
probably safe.

-Rob