Dulwich on Launchpad

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Mar 4 21:13:50 GMT 2010

Hi Russel,

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 20:08 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 11:21 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> > > You mention Bazaar packs, which indicates there may be a "third way"?
> > Yes, that would be the ideal solution - a somewhat specialized database
> > based on Bazaar standard file formats - but it would require a bit more
> > effort to implement than either SQLite or TDB.
>
> I have taken the decision to remove the python-tdb package from those
> machines that mount ~/.bazaar over NFS.  This makes for significantly
> less pain that when using TDB. (*)
>
> However it does mean that I cannot install any other applications that
> depend on TDB on these machines.  But I guess bzr-svn and bzr-git are
> the only ones I had.
Yeah, together with Samba 4 they the only two packages I'm aware of in
 Ubuntu at least that use python-tdb. Samba 3 and several other apps
 use TDB, but not its python bindings.

> On balance though I think I am reasonably not unhappy :-)
>
> (*)  I am though now wondering what happens when using Mac OS X as an
> NFS client to an Ubuntu server.  Also where Samba is used as the mount
> transport.
I think you'd see the same thing - tdb wasn't really implemented for use
with remote file systems as far as I know.

Cheers,

Jelmer