Dulwich on Launchpad

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 3 12:36:04 GMT 2010

Russel Winder <russel.winder at concertant.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 10:50 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > > As a user, as soon as there is enforced rebasing, the perceived
> > > utility of the product drops to zero -- experience from
> > > Bazaar<->Subversion.
> > What about the enforced rebasing is so problematic?
>
> It means that a simple "bzr pull" no longer works because the branches
> have diverged. I agree that "bzr pull --overwrite" does the job but it
> seems overly heavy-handed. Also it means that any local branching and
> checking out from the branch is totally disrupted because the DAG
> structure has changed. Unless I am missing something . . . which is a
> distinct possibility.

All of which can be inferred from the core issue: That a rebase
operation is lossy. That's what's at the root of its problems. (At
least, that's as I understand it from how it's been described to me many
times here.)

--
 \               “There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. |
  `\    Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, |