Fixing rebase rather than avoiding it

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 4 21:03:09 GMT 2010

Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Supporting rebasing well means that it should *also* support rebasing
> without loss of history.

My current understanding of the meaning of a “rebase” operation has the
above as an oxymoron. Can you explain how a rebase operation can be a
rebase operation and yet preserve existing history?

--
 \          “If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor |
  `\                              people, like I am now.” —Jack Handey |