bzr-plugin-info [suggest plugins at runtime]

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Mar 3 06:01:52 GMT 2010

Talking to Ian about this a few more points come up:

Perhaps 'plugin-directory' would be a better name?

He would like to merge the plugin guide into bzr-plugin-info; I suggest by:
 * putting the list of all plugins into plugin-info
 * putting some of the information about the contents of particular
plugins into the plugins
 * putting the 'how to write/install a plugin' text into the bzr core docs

I think for this to achieve its full potential it should normally be
installed by default, but perhaps we can make reasonably sure of that
without it being in the core.  There is at least one strong reason for
it not to be, which is that we can potentially update this even for
stable series to tell people about new or changed plugins, and we
could ship it now for 2.1 (and maybe 2.0?)  We should make sure that
it gets packaged for all the systems though.

If we want a good plugin system we have to work it; just folding
things into core would be kind of avoiding the issue.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>