bzr-git performance analysis

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Feb 28 02:21:59 GMT 2010

While debugging another problem in bzr-git I've done some performance
analysis of bzr-git on trees like the Linux kernel.

bzr-git seems to spend most of its time doing the following things:

 * updating the cache (INSERTs into a SQLite database): 28%
 * iterating InventoryEntry.children: 23%
 * looking up entries in the cache: 10%
 * accessing Git objects using Dulwich: 6%

Having an alternative storage mechanism for the bzr-git metadata (such
as using Bazaar indexes in a pack) would probably help improve the
performance quite a bit. SQLite allows modification of data for existing
keys and a number of other features that we don't really need.

Cheers,

Jelmer