Bazaar 2.1.0 has gone gold

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Feb 16 17:12:29 GMT 2010

I just packaged up a tarball of bzr 2.1.0 final. Thanks to everyone who
has contributed patches, bug reports, and general feedback to help us
improve our project.

For now, I'm just including the summary of changes since bzr 2.1.0b2.
I'll probably include the full set of changes vs 2.0.4 in the final release.

bzr 2.1.0
#########

:Codename: Strasbourg
:2.1.0: 2010-02-11

This release marks our second long-term-stable series. The Bazaar team
has decided that we will continue to make bugfix-only 2.0.x and 2.1.x
releases, along with 2.2 development releases.

This is a fairly incremental update, focusing on polish and bugfixing.
There are no changes for supported disk formats. Key updates include
reduced memory consumption for many operations, a new per-file merge
hook, ignore patterns can now include '!' to exclude files, globbing
support for all commands on Windows, and support for addressing home
directories via ``bzr+ssh://host/~/`` syntax.

Users are encouraged to upgrade from the 2.0 stable series.

Bug Fixes
*********

* Don't require testtools to use sftp.
  (Vincent Ladeuil, #516183)

* Fix "AttributeError in Inter1and2Helper" during fetch.
  (Martin Pool, #513432)

* Ignore ``KeyError`` from ``remove_index`` during
  ``_abort_write_group`` in a pack repository, which can happen
  harmlessly if the abort occurs during finishing the write group.
  Also use ``bzrlib.cleanup`` so that any other errors that occur while
  aborting the individual packs won't be hidden by secondary failures
  when removing the corresponding indices.  (Andrew Bennetts, #423015)

* Using the ``bzrlib.chk_map`` module from within multiple threads at
  the same time was broken due to race conditions with a module level
  page cache. This shows up as a KeyError in the ``bzrlib.lru_cache``
  code with ``bzrlib.chk_map`` in the backtrace, and can be triggered
  without using the same high level objects such as
  ``bzrlib.repository.Repository`` from different threads. chk_map now
  uses a thread local cache which may increase memory pressure on
  processes using threads.
  (Robert Collins, John Arbash Meinel, #514090)

* The new ``merge_file_content`` should now be ok with tests to avoid
  regressions.  (Vincent Ladeuil, #515597)

Internals
*********

* Use ``bzrlib.cleanup`` rather than less robust ``try``/``finally``
  blocks in several places in ``bzrlib.merge``.  This avoids masking
  prior errors when errors like ``ImmortalPendingDeletion`` occur
  during cleanup in ``do_merge``.  (Andrew Bennetts, #517275)

API Changes

* The ``remove_index`` method of
  ``bzrlib.repofmt.pack_repo.AggregateIndex`` no longer takes a
  ``pack`` argument.  This argument was always ignored.
  (Andrew Bennetts, #423015)