[RFI] Annotations cache & progressive display of annotations

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 15 09:28:30 GMT 2010

Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com> writes:

> I'd also like to hear from end users who use annotate frequently. How
> often are you using the GUI vs command-line to view annotations?

I use ‘bzr annotate’ quite frequently on any repository where I haven't
been the sole contributor. The more others are contributing, the more I
find I need to use ‘bzr annotate’.

The command-line interface is the only one I interact with for any
Bazaar usage. Any other interface I use only indirectly, e.g.
Loggerhead or Emacs VC mode. I don't use a direct GUI interface to
Bazaar.

> Any thoughts on "lazy-loading" of the data into the GUI so we can
> begin showing some annotations immediately?

I don't know what to think. If it works the same way as the recent
improvements to ‘bzr log’ (i.e. start returning results as soon as
they're available), I'd be in favour; but that's easy to say in the
absence of any downside.

What would be the downsides?

--
 \             “Dyslexia means never having to say that you're ysror.” |
  `\                                                        —anonymous |