[RFC] "bzr cat-revision"

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Feb 13 01:43:36 GMT 2010

Hi,

bzr cat-revision is the only remaining user of
Repository.get_revision_xml(), a method I would like to remove.

There are a couple of reasons I'd like to get rid of it:

 * while its name suggests it will return XML it actually returns
bencode for 2a repositories
 * it is yet another method on Repository
 * there is no meaningful way to implement it for e.g. svn repositories
 * it doesn't actually return the original raw revision data but rather
parses that and uses the same serializer to re-generate it

"bzr cat-revision" seems mostly a debugging command. Would it make sense
to just have it call out to Repository.revisions.get_record_stream() and
print the revision data it finds there for the specified revision? For
repositories that don't have a meaningful .revisions it could print an
error.

Cheers,

Jelmer