Updated Bazaar 2.1.0 release plan

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Thu Feb 4 09:52:30 GMT 2010

I've just spoken to poolie on the phone about packaging Bazaar Explorer
0.11.2 vs 1.0.0beta in the Bazaar 2.1.0 installers. As explained in the
other thread on the topic:

1. Poolie doesn't want to risk a new plugin release going into 2.1.0
   the day before we ship it.

2. I don't want to support 0.11.x for 12 months on Windows,
   particularly when 1.0.x will be shipping in Lucid.

After considering various options, here's what we'd like to do:

1. Ship 2.1.0rc3 tomorrow including Explorer 1.0beta.

2. Ship 2.1.0 mid next week. The only changes permitted between
   rc3 and the final release will be critical fixes.

3. In future, make sure all key plugins go "rc" at the same time
   as bzr does (so this dilemma doesn't bite us again).

I feel this is a good plan for numerous reasons. We have some slack wrt
when 2.1.0 ships - Lucid close is still some time off. It means the
documentation I'll be writing for Explorer 1.0 will be applicable to
users on Windows and OS X users, not just Ubuntu/Kubuntu users. I also
feel that the Explorer 1.0beta release is a genuine "headline feature"
for the 2.1.0 release (which has mainly been about stabilisation and
reduced memory usage). GUIs aren't for everyone but for those who swear
by them, 1.0beta has filled in many small gaps in usability and
extensibility. I wasn't prepared to call the previous release (0.11.2)
"1.0" because it simply wasn't good enough IMO to have that label. The
current feature set now is.

I'll be releasing Explorer 1.0 beta in the next 15 hours. Right now, I'm
working my way through the bug list, triaging the new ones and closing
the simple ones, as I try to do before every Explorer release. Thanks to
those who have been testing over the last few days. Keep those bug
reports coming please.

I'd also like to suggest we ship PyQt 4.7.1 and Qt 4.6 in the Windows
installer for 2.1.0rc3. Those are the versions we'll have in Lucid (and
in the OS X installer IIUIC) so that will give us a common "platform"
wrt support issues.

Thoughts?

Ian C.