bzr-svn: informing bzr about old svn merges.

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Feb 1 14:45:12 GMT 2010

Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> writes:

>> Is there a recommended way of making bzr aware of the last merged
>> revision, so the next `bzr merge' considers only the subsequent
>> revisions?
> Just do a merge once, resolve the conflicts (perhaps just revert all of
> the changes but not the merge revision information?) and push that
> revision into svn - bzr-svn will set the required properties.

Thanks Jelmer.

For the record, this is what works here:

* If branch and trunk diverged, `svn merge' trunk into branch. This is
  necessary because otherwise when we do `bzr merge' it is more
  difficult to discriminate the changes introduced by revisions that
  were merged on the past with svn from new changes not merged by
  bzr. Resolve conflicts and `svn commit'.

* Update our bzr mirror branches of svn.

* `bzr merge' trunk into the branch.

* Thanks to the first step, we know that all modifications to the
  working tree introduced by the merge are bogus, hence...

* `bzr resolve --all'.

* `bzr revert *'  (Not `bzr revert' as this will remove the pending
  merge tips!)

* `bzr st' and check that only the pending merge tip is listed. Watch
  for versioned files that start with a dot (i.e. .bzrignore) as those
  are ignored by `bzr revert *'. If needed, explicitly revert the file:
  `bzr revert .bzrignore'.

* `bzr commit'

* `bzr push' to the svn repo.

Please Jelmer confirm this: after that operation, do not rely on svn
merge track system for merging with svn again. If you ever want to merge
with svn again, use explicit revision ranges. (I say this because the
property svn:mergeinfo was changed by the commit of the bzr merge)