bzr-svn: informing bzr about old svn merges.

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Feb 1 13:04:41 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 12:13 +0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 21:24 +0100, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> >> Some long-lived branches started before svn had merge-tracking
> >> capabilites and hence the merge information was manually tracked. After
> >> converting the repositories to bzr with `bzr svn-import', the divergence
> >> point of those branches wrt `trunk' is shown to be at the beginning of
> >> the branch, as if no merges had ever happened.
>
> On 31/01/10 22:36, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > bzr-svn doesn't use the svn merge information at all, even if it is
> >    present. The svn merg  information is cherrypicking information,  and
> >   bzr doesn't support tracking cherrypicks yet so bzr-svn can't convert
> >   svn:merge to anything.
>
> It would be very pleasant if bzr-svn could detect when svn:mergeinfo
> represented a cherrypick and when it represented a full history merge,
> and represent the latter in bzr. Presumably this isn't too far-fetched,
> given bzr-svn's understanding of svk merge metadata?
While that is possible in theory, it's also something that really
belongs in bzr itself - it'll have the same issue to deal with when it
starts supporting cherrypicks, combined with the facts that it's hard to
get such detection working properly and perform well.

bzr-git e.g. also has the same problem (since git can track
cherrypicks), I'd rather not have to reimplement this sort of detection
there as well.

Cheers,

Jelmer