bzr serve and access control?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat Jan 30 14:24:47 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 03:00:57PM +1100, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 12:58 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > Not at all. I just want to have it more fine-grained than filesystem
> > > controls
> > […]
> >
> > That meets my understanding of “something else” :-)
>
> Usually people are trying to get permissions per project all in a single
> repo, that sort of thing. Hard to do that with Unix user permissions.
> You *can* do it with Unix groups, provided you set sticky group and do
> one repo per project (which is entirely reasonable).
>
> But you get people trying to do narrower than that (you can check out
> the open source part, but not the commercial add-on is common) but my
> sympathy level for that drops somewhat.

Andrew, please consider that there can be a difference between private data
and proprietary data. For example, I have repositories that store how my
network and computers are configured, which mail lists I am subscribed to,
phone numbers and addresses of my friends and relatives, my financial and
tax data, keys for my wlan.

I don't really think this data should be open-source. Sorry.

> It'll be interesting to hear what exactly Josef is actually needing to
> do.

I want to give people access to some of my repositories without creating
user accounts for them. And I want to be able to define who can do what on
those repositories. Something like http://github.com/sitaramc/gitolite