Contributor agreement

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Thu Jan 28 16:02:33 GMT 2010

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> As Karl(?) mentioned, if a miscreant forges mail purporting to be from
>>> you, you obviously are not accountable for what they say.
>>>

>> No, but Canonical won't pay my legal fees, court costs, and any
>> incidental costs of proving I sent no such mail.  And I personally
>> would have great difficulty proving that, since I don't habitually
>> sign my email.
>>

> But this issue exists regardless of whether you ever get even close to
> signing such an agreement.  It could happen even if you've never heard
> of this agreement and its clauses.
>
> So if there is a problem, it's in the legal system, which should
> hopefully lay the burden on Canonical to show that they really did get
> a valid agreement from you, rather than lay the burden on you to show
> that you did not sign any such agreement.
>

>         Stefan

This issue seems to have escalated from my initial remark.
I agree that the present legal system is at fault and is often very
unfair - lack of a robust defence can be seen to admittance of guilt -
but it is this legal system that can cause us great pain, and it is this
same legal system that such an agreement works within.

May I suggest that, just with other places where one is requested to
sign up for something (e.g. a forum), that an email to the sender's
email address requesting a confirmation (by following a link) would go a
long way towards verifying that the initial email was from the right
person. The technology exists, is well known and does not impose any
real burden on the contributor.

Greetings,
David.

--

* David Ingamells  *      Test Architect    *     Mapscape *

Henri Wijnmalenweg 5b   |  5657 EP Eindhoven  |  The Netherlands

Phone +31 (0)40 7113571  |  Fax +31 (0)40 7113599

www.mapscape.eu <http://www.mapscape.eu/>

Mapscape B.V. is ISO9001:2008 certified.
This e-mail and any attachment may contain corporate proprietary
information and may only be read, copied and used by the intended
recipient. If you have received it by mistake, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments
from your system. We believe but do not warrant that this message and
any attachments are virus free. Mapscape B.V. is registered at the Kamer
van Koophandel Oost-Brabant located in Eindhoven, The Netherlands number
17210210.