Contributor agreement

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jan 26 20:21:34 GMT 2010

Martin Pool writes:

 > I kind of see your point, and yet this is a bit of an odd
 > proving-nonexistence situation.  This is not so much a bug in the
 > agreement as a desire that Canonical not believe that email sent by
 > you is actually from you.

Wrong.  It is a bug in the agreement; it makes Canonical a potential
weapon for people who want to do a third party harm.  The issue is
negligence, not any harm directly caused by Canonical.

 > Our main concern is with the burden on the contributor: _I_ am
 > perfectly happy to verify gpg signatures with trust chains, but
 > this would make it hard on many contributors.

Ask for the signature, and if they say "no can do", then explore other
possibilities.  I find it hard to believe that it really would be a
big problem for many Bazaar contributors.

 > At any rate if you can think of a better solution I would be happy
 > to hear it.

Get a power of attorney to represent me in cases where my copyright is
questioned or infringed, instead of an assignment. :-)