"project management"

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 20:21:49 GMT 2010

Hello,

I have to ask a question that is only slightly related to Bazaar, and is
vague, but I've exhausted Google and Wikipedia.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of project management tool, kind of
like Trac or Launchpad, with the following features:

1) Preferably use bzr in the backend. I don't like subversion.
2) Allows multiple projects. Projects are easy to find.
3) Easy for me to manage.
4) Easy enough for an  idiot to use (I expect that some idiots will).
5) Users can upload files even if they don't have bzr installed.
6) I don't have to manage user accounts.

This is the basic problem I have:

My boss wants to have a place where senior high school students can
upload their little software projects as part of the process of learning
how to program in a simple language (JavaScript, Python, etc). He
expects that some of these might be honestly valuable (e.g. a game to
teach math to younger kids). He also expects that some teachers who
taught themselves programming might add something useful.

As you can see, the audience here is people who do *not* have much
experience with programming or SCMs. Another problem is that some
schools will not be willing to install anything on their computers.

My current solution is to ask users to simply make an account in our
Drupal website and upload files to their directory. This isn't very
organized, but at least its simple. My boss, however, is not happy with
this and *he* wants to make a public FTP account where anyone can go in
and upload files. I am terrified at the security implications of this.

I hope this gives you an idea of the broad problem we are trying to
solve. It'd be nice for software projects to be at least minimally
organized so you can actually find stuff. It should be easy enough for
students. Ideally it would benefit from having bzr installed, but it
should still be able to function if it isn't.

I also don't want to spend a lot of time managing this. My job is to
write software, not to play sysadmin.

I have no idea if anything like this exists. The closest thing I can
think of is Launchpad. It seems to basically have all the basic
features, though Launchpad was designed with a different problem in
mind. I'm wondering if anyone can think of an alternative I should consider.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Daniel.