Using merge --pull

Guy Gascoigne-Piggford guy at wyrdrune.com
Tue Jan 19 03:09:27 GMT 2010

I have to say that this is exactly the reason why we stopped (very quickly)
recommending merge --pull.  Simply it put folks in the habit of using it all
of the time, and caused them to forget when we absolutely didn't want them
doing so.

We have a mix of developers using branches form the feature branch and ones
just developing in a checkout and overlaying the history of the feature
branch with one of those individual dev branched confused the hell out of
people.  It's easy enough to fix if you notice at the time, but if it's a
few days, it becomes a real pain.

If you know what you are doing, it's a useful tool, but if you don't and use
it blindly, it's just a source of confusion.

Guy