Using merge --pull

Juanma Barranquero lekktu at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 11:43:28 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:20, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:

> I meant merging in a branch, while the source is the trunk or a parent
> branch.

I know. I was pointing out that if you get into the habit of doing
"merge --pull" in branches, it's more likely that you will
accidentally use it in the trunk (gone there, done that, bought the
t-shirt).

> How do separate commits enter this picture?

I don't understand.

  cd trunk
  bzr merge ../my-branch

will merge changes from my-branch into trunk, and set the metadata
info so "bzr commit" will do *one* commit (a merge commit, with
history visible through -n0). On the other hand,

  cd trunk
  bzr merge --pull ../my-branch

assuming it does a pull and not a merge, will do as many (automatic)
commits into trunk as there are in my-branch and not in trunk. So the
resulting history is different in both cases.

    Juanma